Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Library Adventure!

So, this adventure was somewhat intimidating for me.  This is the first time that I have checked out a book in a library at school, and I had no idea how to do it.  I searched "Birth control AND Thailand" and the first hit that came up was a book called Thailand's Reproductive Revolution. It was written in 1987, and the topic that I am writing about started in the early 80's and is about Thailand's policies on birth control/population inflation, so I knew that this book would help, and I didn't look much further.

The book was in Memorial Library, which I had only been in once before, but only to study just up the stairs on second floor.  I asked the woman at the front what floor my book would be located on, or some sort of strategy to find it because the code number made absolutely no sense to me.  She told me that it would be on floor 4M and I should take the elevators.  So I got in the elevator with another man who asked me what floor  I was going to so he could press the button for me.  I did not know that floor 4M and floor 4 were different buttons so I just said floor 4.  I go to the north stacks and start trying to read the signs to find HB. I am walking through the isles and passing people in cages studying.  The lights would turn on after I walked past each isle and I was the only person making noise and all I could think is that a group of rabid dogs would jump out of the next empty cage I pass. Thanks. So I finally find the isle and realize that every book is in some Asian-looking language! Finally I realized I was on the wrong floor and it was easier and less scary after that point. I went up a floor and found my book easily.  The books around it were titled Fertility Decline and Children's Education in Thailand, Fertility Among Rural Thai Women, and Fertility Planning in Thailand.  None of them seemed to pertain to my topic, so I only took the book that I searched.  I did check out my book, and I am excited to read it and use it as a source.  Although I was originally upset about this assignment, and even though I was very scared, I did enjoy it and get a good source out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment