Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Klansman Who Won't Say the N-Word Review

Ronson's main objective in this chapter from The Klansman Who Won't Say the N-Word is to bring to light the fact that not all people involved in the Klu Klux Klan are how they are represented in Hollywood.  He illustrates how genuinely friendly, nonaggressive, and easy-going the leader of the KKK is. Ronson does not base his information on opinions, considering he is Jewish, but only writes about the facts that he observed when he spent time with the Klan.  Although there is still some use of words such as "Jew" and "nigger," the Klan is very different compared to the way they are represented in Hollywood.  Ronson wants the readers to realize that there can be false representations of a group of people in the media.
I found this chapter incredibly interesting.  The fact that they did not know that Ronson was Jewish also made it incredibly humorous! It was interesting because Ronson gave the reader almost no bad impressions of the KKK. I enjoyed this text very much because I have never learned anything about the KKK besides what I have seen in the movies, which is always very hostile and scary. This piece definitely changed my view of the members of the Klu Klux Klan.  I now understand that they are normal humans who can fit into society, and not crazy, violent, and hateful people who only live with their Klan members, and I think that this was Ronson's main point.

No comments:

Post a Comment